Table of contents for Thailand - Self-drive trip
- Self-drive trip across Thailand (7 days, 2000 kms) : Part 1 – Dreams Delivered
- Self-Drive trip across Thailand (7 days, 2000 kms): Part-2 Preparing for the trip
- Self-Drive trip across Thailand (7 days and 2000 kms) : Part 3 – Bangkok to Bang Saen
- Self Drive Trip across Thailand (7 days, 2000 kms) : Part 4 (Bang Saen)
- Self-Drive trip across Thailand (7 days, 2000 kms) : Part 5 – Bang Saen to Kampaeng Phet
- Self-Drive trip across Thailand (7 days, 2000 kms) : Part 6 – Chiang Mai
Kamhpaeng Phet (Diamond Wall) is one of the provincial capitals of Thailand. It is a historical town some 350 kms north of Bangkok, roughly midway between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. The Historical Park here is a UENSCO World Heritage site with royal palace and old temples.
It is almost noon when we drive out of Bang Saen. Our destination is Chiang Mai, located in northern Thailand. Chaing Mai is approx 800 kms from Bang Saen and do-able in one day. We have, however, split the drive to schedule a night halt midway at Kampaeng Phet. The overnight break is aimed as much at taking care of uncertainties as adding one more destination to our travel log. The road to Kampaeng Phet is via Bangkok. Since we are moving from south-east of Bangkok to its north, we plan to take the Eastern Outer Ring Road of Bangkok to avoid the city traffic.
NH 1 is the main highway from Bangkok to Chiang Mai but it takes a circuitous route. We would take Highway 32, which is almost a straight run northwards from Bangkok and meets up with NH 1 in the province of Nakhon Sawan.